Knoxville Custom Cabinets will assist you in choosing the right surfaces for your project. Visit our gallery or showroom to see examples of some of the work we’ve done. We fabricate several types of countertop surfaces; Decorative Laminate, Acrylic Solid Surface, Wood Veneer, and Solid Wood (Butcher Block).
Below are some of the specifics of each product.
Acrylic Solid Surface: Our most popular brands are Livingstone™, Samsung Staron™, Corian™, and LG Hi-Macs™.
• Unlike granite, acrylic solid surface is a non-porous material, which means it doesn’t absorb bacteria and isn’t susceptible to mold or mildew. This also means there is no sealing or costly maintenance required.
• Proper fabrication of solid surface countertops gives a seamless appearance, meaning that any seams will be inconspicuous. Specially formulated adhesives manufactured to match the color and pattern of your choosing are used to create the perfect look for your kitchen design.
• Coordinating acrylic solid surface countertops with plumbing fixtures requires details of the sink, faucet, and other plumbing components like sprayers or integrated soap dispensers. We are happy to provide and install an undermount sink of your choice, which eliminates the problem of crumbs or other debris becoming stuck on the rim of a traditional drop-in sink. A drain board can also be carved into the countertop to allow water to drain directly into the sink. Traditional drop-in sinks can also be used if the customer so desires.
• Cove backsplash – A cove backsplash is formed by using the solid surface countertop material and the above mentioned matching adhesive to create a curved, integrated backsplash, as opposed to a standard set-on 90 degree backsplash. Normal Backsplash heights are either 3 or 4 inches.
Solid surface materials are susceptible to heat, scratching, and chipping. However; unlike laminate countertops, solid surfacing is repairable. Scratches can be sanded and buffed to give them a like new appearance. We provide matching trivets and cutting boards to ensure the longevity and functionality of your kitchen countertops.
High Pressure Decorative Laminate (HPDL): Our most popular laminate brands are Formica™, Nevamar™, and WilsonArt™
• Today’s laminates have come a long way from their humble beginnings. New patterns, colors, and textures have caused this material to far surpass its previously unremarkable reputation.
• Laminate countertops are the most affordable countertop surfaces on the market today.
• Custom built laminate countertop seams are not joined in corners with 45° cuts as seen in post-formed countertop installations. Joints, if required are placed in less conspicuous places depending on the configuration of the kitchen.
• Custom built laminate countertops do not have rolled or waterfall edges nor coved backsplashes as you would find with post-formed countertops. Edges are squared but can be radiused in most cases to avoid sharp corners. Backsplashes are also squared and are sealed at the joint to the countertop using clear silicone
• Wood edging can be added to custom built laminate countertops. There are a wide variety of edge profiles that can be used.